Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/

Subject: Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 06:13:42 -0400
I own an OM-1 and the 200mm/f4 is one of my favorite lenses.
Consequently I've been following this shutter shudders thread pretty
closely.  Excuse me if I missed it but I don't recall that there has
been any data yet that would implicate the OM-1 with a lens other than
the 200mm/f4.

As I recall, Joel's tests also showed that, despite the good performance
of the OM-2s with the 200mm/f4 alone, it didn't do so well if it had a
winder attached.  That causes me to strongly suspect that what we're
seeing is a resonance effect.  If that's the case the problem might go
away or be diminished with any other lens.  This also leads me to wonder
whether this phenomenon might occur on other bodies using different
lenses.

As I was closing this note the Heisenberg principle suddenly popped into
my churning brain and caused me to wonder... what if the cause of the
resonance was the addition of a laser pointer :)

Wishing I had a laser pointer,
Chuck Norcutt