Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:04:57 +0200
: Super work and very revealing insights by Richard and Joel!  Do I regret
: choosing a OM-1 for my lens tests?  You bet.  But we collectively have
: uncovered a real world limitation of the OM-1

Indeed. But now all in a sudden I begin to realize what the meaning might be
of that pesky little sentence that's printed in the SIF as a note for every
tele lens:

"When using a tripod, hold the camera steady with both hands and press the
shutter release with the ball of finger, not with the cable release."

This surely does not seem reasonable - what else would the meaning be of
heavy tripods and long cable releases - and since they never explain why
this method would be better, I guess no one ever used it.
But in the OM System Lens Handbook they finally add something to this
method, in the description of the 1000mm/F11:

"To take the picture, try this method: Place your right hand to support the
camera, with your finger tip on the shutter release button, while your left
hand is occupied with holding the lens steady. Think of the tripod as a
device to support the lens, rather than as a means in itself to prevent
shake."

So -although this is not really the same method- what they're actually
suggesting is using your body or hands as an extra telephoto support to stop
vibrations. It should be noted that the SIF was printed in the OM-1n/OM-2n
period, and the Handbook in the OM-4 period but that they still considered
manually supporting the tripod mounted camera better than using a cable
release. I'm wondering if this subject was ever covered in Vision Age?

Hans