[OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)

Subject: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was "200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 00:24:52 -0500
Oly Shooters:

I've been trying to repeat Richard Schaetzl's tests with a laser pointer.
His tests suggested that the 200/f4 moves when the lens is automatically
stopped down as the shutter fires. My conclusions are somewhat different
from Richard's, although we agree on a number of points.

I mounted the 200/f4 on OM-1 and OM-2S bodies and used packing tape to
attach a laser pointer to the lens barrel.  I used two different heads on a
Bogen 3221 tripod, the 3030 QR tilt panhead and 3265 Grip Action ball head.
 I tried both setups with and without the Bogen 3420 telephoto lens
support.  I tried all setups with and without a winder.  Finally, I added a
2X-A TC to see what would happen.

I discerned the same difference between OM-1 and a later model OM (OM-2S)
as Richard:  the OM-1 had a tendency to kick; the OM-2S didn't.  Unless
there is some peculiar diabolic synergy between OM-1 and 200/f4, I would
have to conclude that the OM-1 has a more resonant and/or convulsive shutter.

Here's what I found:

1) With OM-2S and 200/f4 mounted on either head *without* a winder, I could
discern no movement of the laser light when the shutter was fired, whether
mirror was pre-fired or not.

2) With OM-1 and 200/f4 mounted on either head *without* a winder, I could
discern definite movement of the laser light, regardless of mirror being
locked up or not.

3) With either camera mounted on either head *with* the winder, there was
distinct movement of the laser light when the shutter was fired, regardless
of mirror lockup, etc.

4) With telephoto lens support, I could discern no movement of the laser
light even with winder attached.  This was true with *either* camera.

5) On OM-2S with 200/f4 and 2X-A there was slight movement *without*
telephoto lens support.  (I did not even bother to test this setup with a
winder.)  I could detect movement of the laser light occasionally,
depending on how well I worked the cable release.  Suspicious of this, I
moved the whole rig about 2.5 meters from the wall and used the timer
(OM-2S) and watched the light from about .5 meters from the wall.  Without
the telephoto lens support with OM-2S, I could detect the ever-so-slightest
movement as the shutter clicked, and quite a bump with the OM-1, but I
still could not detect any movement *with* the lens support with either
camera.

My conclusion is that no matter how good your tripod, the 200/f4 is a
disaster on a camera with a winder on a tripod with no additional lens
support.  Movement of the laser light was a little difficult to see at
first, but once I knew what to look for it was very obvious in situations
where there was an unsupported winder that the light moved when the shutter
was fired.

I will probably not use a winder when I use this lens on tripod-mounted
cameras and I'll probably also use the lens support faithfully. The lens
support is critical for use with 2X-A.

I'm not sure what to think about the OM-1 now.  To get some perspective, I
tried the same test with my FM2 and 80-200/f4.  Solid as rock on tripod
alone.  So I thought "Maybe my OM-1 MD is a rotten egg; I'll try the
OM-1n."  Exactly the same. What about opening the aperture all the way?
Same thing.  What about taping down the aperture DOF preview button
(defeating the auto feature of the lens)?  Same thing again.  It's the
shutter, or the kick the shutter gives the lens, regardless of whether the
kick stops down the lens or not.  The good news is that the Bogen telephoto
lens support tames the OM-1's convulsive shutter problems, at least as fa
as my eyes can tell, even with the addition of the 2X-A.  And it is
probably 100 times more significant than mirror lock up for the sharpness
of images, at least with the 200/f4. Unfortunately, the 200/f4 is about as
short a telephoto as one can use with the Bogen telephoto support.  I don't
know if it would even work with the 200/f5, not to mention a 100 or 85.

What about different shutter speeds? Any joy?  Nope.  1/2 sec is probably
the worst, with a visible jolt as the shutter opens and another when it
closes.

Does the OM-2S shutter sound pretty sexy to me now?  I'll say.

Joel