Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head

Subject: Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 21:29:35 EDT
BB writes:

> > Just how accurate are lens markings? I notice that on my 200/5 that
>  > the hyperfocal distance  at f16 looks to be 150yds judging by the
>  > lens markings. But according to the hyperfocal calculator at
>  > http://www.frii.com/~mbaltuch/HyperFocal.html, the hyperfocal
>  > distance for f16 should be 83.33 yards. Which should I trust?

Both.  It just depends on your acceptable circle of confusion.  The larger
the intended reproduction, holding the viewing distance constant, the smaller
the acceptable circle of confusion before the nearest and further objects
become unsharp.  Read the fine print associated with any chart, or the
paperwork associated with any lens and you will find what circle of confusion
the chart or lens scale is based on.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV