Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head

Subject: Re: Infinity and F-stop RE: [OM] Monopod & ball head
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:08:14 -0700
Regarding autofocus cameras and depth of field, Dave wrote:

(snip)

>It occurred to me, upon reading the original post and thinking of
>offering info on this, if this another thing lost in the world of
>autofocus. Now, clearly, when you make each lens a computer peripheral,
>the full depth of field characteristics for each lens could easily be
>supplied in the lens-to-body-computer interface. But I wonder if any
>autofocus camera is clever enough even to say to itself -- "hey self, I'm
>at infinity, but I just decided to set f22, so maybe I really want to set
>the focus itself to 10ft, so I get everyting from 5ft-oo in focus."

-
The Elan IIe sort of does this.  You can either set its programme mode to
"scenery" (or whatever the little mountain picture is called)--as opposed to
"sports" (little runner), "portraits" (face), or "close-up" (flower)--and
the camera optimises settings with the smallest (possible or is it
necessary) aperture.  I'm not sure, however, if the camera is making choices
that factor focal distance into the equation--wouldn't be surprised but I'm
not sure.

The second way Canon has programmed this camera to deal with DOF is
available in DOF mode (including the ones I mentioned above, I think there
are 9 different modes all told).  This mode works by the photog eyeing two
things s/he wants in focus (i.e. placing one of the three focus squares on
the far and another on near distances that require optimal focus) and the
camera sets the necessary speed aperture ratio.

While both of these modes are cool, I find that it is much easier to work
manually or with the aperture priority mode.  That is when I can get my eye
to trigger the DOF preview, which means when I can get my eyeball to do the
required movement (no mean feat for these lazy eyes).

I guess the moral of the story is: yes  they can programme cameras to do
amazing things, but it's still easier to set DOF quickly and accurately on
the good ole oly, using a few archaic guidelines, one's own noodle, and (in
my case) left middle finger.

Glen