Re: [OM] [OT] URLS (was Re: Would somebody../Re: olympus docs question)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] URLS (was Re: Would somebody../Re: olympus docs question)
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 12:34:28 -0500
On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 12:02:03AM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> (Compliant DOS/Windows web servers generally
> reject URL paths that contain upper-case letters, since their brain-dead
> file systems cannot distinguishe between upper case and lower case, and
> Internet standards require them to.)

I didn't know this behavior was required by the RFCs, and I'm sorry it is.
Case sensitivity is the single greatest user interface botch ever
perpetrated. (No, not case preservation, which is a separate issue; the
Windows NT file system is case-preserving but not case-sensitive.)

At any rate, Jan's right: domain names aren't case sensitive, but everything
else after that is.