[OM] [OT] URLS (was Re: Would somebody../Re: olympus docs question)

Subject: [OM] [OT] URLS (was Re: Would somebody../Re: olympus docs question)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 00:02:03 -0700
>From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Yep, http://CameraQuest.com works :-)  Nasty unix case-sensitive names
>again.....

No, that's not how it works. Only the part AFTER the domain name is case
sensitive, and by definition in the specification for Hypertext Trasport
Protocol, NOT because of Unix. In fact, if a DOS- or Windows-based web
server is case insensitive for the part of the URL after the domain name,
it is NOT in compliance with Internet standards, regardless of how their
stupid file system works. (Compliant DOS/Windows web servers generally
reject URL paths that contain upper-case letters, since their brain-dead
file systems cannot distinguishe between upper case and lower case, and
Internet standards require them to.)

Domain names (the part between "http://"; and the next "/") are handled by a
separate service, Domain Name Service (DNS), and are NEVER case sensitive.
In fact, the version of DNS that is most used throughout the Internet is
"bind," which runs on Unix and is most certainly case insensitive. I would
suspect a DNS server that is case sensitive is almost certainly running on
something other than Unix.

If it works with upper and lower case, but not with all lower case, the
most likely reason is co-incidence -- it simply was up at one time and down
at another -- or it could be that your ISP's DNS is screwed up, and not in
compliance with Internet specifications. You can test this by specifying a
different primary name service in your Internet set-up.

I'm not just making this up; I write custom Internet servers for my
clients, and have read the appropriate RFCs in detail, although I don't
have them in front of me, and may be mistaken about some small bits.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229