RE: [OM] OT: Internet Image copyrights

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Internet Image copyrights
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 09:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2 May 1999 15:39, "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I apologize for this off-topic pet peeve.  I wish there was a way to
>> track the use of one's images on the web.  (If I was an unethical web
>> page designer I would make my first raid on The Unofficial Olympus
>> Gallery!)

>Actually, there is a pretty good way to track your images. There are methods
>of "watermarking" digital images, whereby text information (say your name
>etc.) of your choosing is embedded into the image. This information can be
>recovered with the appropriate software.

Actually, watermarking of images only help AFTER you realized that
someone has used a copy of your image.  It helps to proof ownership
or copyright, but it does not help to "track" if someone has made a
copy of your image.  With the WWW being world-wide, it is practically
impossible to know how many people in how many countries have used
your image -- even if it is watermarked, or even with the words
"Copyrighted 1999 by John Doe" plainly visible.  If someone made a
copy of your image, what are the chances that you will come across it
and have a chance to claim violation?  The chance is very small.

Second problem, watermarking of digital images only help with
identifying a digital copy of the original digital image.  If the
image is printed out then re-scanned, or only the printed image is
used, then all evidence of the watermark is gone.  If someone grabs
an image off the net and uses it in a printed form for commercial
purposes in another part of the world, it is practically impossible
to track and try to collect royalty.

In this particular case, the image was re-used in the same forum it
originally appeared, giving the copyright owner a chance to see it
and recognize it.  But in the real world, the chance of actually
running into your own "stolen" image is very very small.