Re: [OM] T32 Auto setting inaccurate

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 Auto setting inaccurate
From: "webmaster" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 22:00:48 -0400
I have recently been doing a lot of outdoor fill-flash of my daughter
heading off to various proms and spring formals.  Using OTF has proven
useless, even with the F-280.  So I tried the "old school" technique of
ambient metering, then metering the flash with a Minolta IV, and figuring
the balance in my head.  Now that works.  The only surprise I got was one
set of tight head-and-shoulder portraits from the last outing.  Using the
trees and shadows of the backyard as the background and the subjects
standing on the driveway, I did not correctly account for the flash to
background difference.  The subjects are properly exposed, balance of
natural light and flash is quite pleasant.  But the shade of the background
went totally black.  Dang it!  The negatives show modest seperation between
the dark tuxedo jackets and the dark background, and perhaps will improve
when reprinted.  However, I should have done better.  I wonder if fancy
multi-segment metering would have been smart enough to automate it.......

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".

Trevor J. Noble <p15982@xxxxxx> remarked: