[OM] Tell me the right thing to do...

Subject: [OM] Tell me the right thing to do...
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 05:02:35 -0700
I just received e-mail from someone new to the this group. This person was not a
member when we ordered back copies of Vision Age, and asked if I could provide
him with copies of the articles about Super FP flash and multi-spot metering I'd
mentioned in recent postings.

I'm getting crabbier and more short-tempered as I get older, and I frankly
consider this an imposition on my time. Of course, if this person lived nearby,
I would gladly allow him to look at these articles, happy that I could share
them with him. But I have to take these issues to work, photocopy them, address
the envelope, etc, etc. It isn't a lot of work, but I don't see why I should
have to do it at all.

There is also the copyright issue. These magazines _are_ copyrighted, and they
_are_ still available (albeit from people who don't seem to want to have much to
do with the public). Why should I give away copies (which, even though I'm not
charging for them, is illegal), when any interested party could -- and should --
buy them?

The reason for my commenting on these excellent articles was to draw them to the
attention of those who had the issues in question -- not to implicitly announce
their availability to anyone who requested a copy.

I want to do "the right thing," but I feel I'm being imposed upon and taken
advantage of. Comments, anyone? (Please _don't_ say anything about how I could
have copied the articles and addressed the envelope in the three minutes it took
to write this note.)