RE: [OM] Substitute for a T20 AutoConnector ?

Subject: RE: [OM] Substitute for a T20 AutoConnector ?
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:59:51 +1000
I wrote about a week ago:

> I went into a camera shop today to buy some film and also
> asked the salesman
> if he had any OM stuff.  He went through his drawers and
> found very little
> (5m remote release for Motor/Winder), then he mentioned he
> had a non-OEM
> flash extension cable.  This sounded interesting and when he
> produced it the
> configuration was as follows:
>
> camera end: T20/T32 style hot foot (including a locking
> knob)with T20/T32
> style hot shoe above.
> 4 m of cable.
> Flash end: cold foot with threaded tripod socket, T20/T32
> style hot shoe
> above.
>
> So you can mount one end on your OM-2(N) with shoe 3/4 with a
> T20/T32 flash
> on camera then have another T20/T32 up to 4m away mounted on
> another shoe or
> light stand.
>
> This seemed like a useful device so I bought it (refund if it
> doesn't work
> well).
>
> It is made in Japan by UN Company Ltd. and is called
> "Extension cord for
> dedicated flash unit".  A photograph on the instruction sheet
> shows a Canon
> AE-1 and the sheet mentions that there are versions available to suit
> several cameras.
>
> The salesman said they were no longer available and that this
> one had been
> in the shop for "several years".
>
> Has anyone else seen these before ?

Well after some brief testing I discovered:

My T20 was a very tight fit in the shoes.

When T20 mounted and my OM-2n set to auto the shutter speed was not set to
1/60.

No flash ready light in viewfinder.

When flash triggered, no TTL control of flash (looked like full manual dump
based on flash recycle time).

So I returned the cable for a full refund.

I guess the advice with these is to make sure they behave correctly before
committing your cash to one.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/