[OM] ** FILTERS ** & coatings

Subject: [OM] ** FILTERS ** & coatings
From: "Tom Trottier" <infoanim@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:37:24 -0400
Folks,

Two issues with filters & coatings.

1. The issue is not the transmission rate, but rather the reflection rate. The
difference between 92.7 and 91.3% transmission is not a meagre 1.4%, but rather
an increase in stray light bouncing around in the lens from 7.3% to 8.70f the
total light input.  In other words, the increase in glare from 7.3 to 8.7 is
19%.

2. If the film has a 9-stop range, the lowest lite capturable in an exposure is
2**9, or 512 times, weaker than the strongest lite, or about 0.190f the
strongest lite. If the overall glare adds just 10f the incoming lite across
the field, most of the shadow detail will be obscured.

Now, not all of the glare makes it onto the film. Some goes back out the front,
some is absorbed by the black lining of the lens or camera. Some is intensified
by optical effects, giving the pretty patterns when a light source is included.

But any reflections will add fog & reduce contrast all over the film.

I can do without a 19 0ncrease in glare. Especially in low light situations
with mucho shadow.

Tom

> Bob Broder wrote and asked a question about the merits of single vs
> multi-coated filters.
>
> Brian Huber replied:
and then Chuck Norcott:

----
From: Tom Trottier, President, ACT Productions Inc.
infoanim@xxxxxx                   http://www.act.ca
+1 613 594-4829                 fax +1 613 594-8944
199 Holmwood Ave,  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 2P3
"Make it as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Einstein