[OM] Troubling News from the Digital Front

Subject: [OM] Troubling News from the Digital Front
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 16:32:45 -0800
Dear Zuiks/Zuikettes:

Here's a field report from Olympus's digital front.  As some may
recall, I have recently acquired an Olympus digital SLR -- a D-600L
(aka Camedia C-1400L).  I got it because: (a) it was offered to me
for a very good price; and (b) I needed the capability to produce
good quality digital images for online publishing, with a faster
turnaround time than print film + flatbed scanner, or even emulsion
+ slide scanner combos could deliver.

For those contemplating a similar move, here's a piece of advice:
pls remember that getting a new digicam is like having a baby: most
of the headaches start _after_ you bring it home :-)  There are
batteries and AC adapters to worry about, different ways of
interfacing your digicam with your computer, problems with
immature software, storage media compatibility, a plethora of
filters and optical adapters, etc.  (Diapers are optional :-))

Well, after 4-6 weeks of learning and experimenting, I felt that
I had paid my dues, and started using my digicam quite regularly.
I was very happy with the D-600L, that is -- until last Wednesday,
when the camera suddently clammed up on me.  It simply would not
power up, and none of my efforts to revive it seemed to make any
impression. :-(
(Oh yes, I did try to reset the microprocessor, but to no avail).

I needed the digicam for the next morning, and had no backup (well,
with digicams, who does?!)  So, I had to schlepp the camera, and my
sorry butt all the way across town -- down to Long Beach (about 50
miles each way!), where Olympus West Coast service is located.

The #$%&*ing bastards gave me an estimated repair date of May 5th!
The only other repair facility is in NY -- with an even longer
repair backlog !

Can they do a rush service?  Nope.  Can they get me a loaner?  A
rental?  Nope, forget it!  Do they have any indie repair place(s)
who are trained to service OLY digicams?  Nope, not yet.  Do they
realize that some people are trying to use their new digicams
_professionally_?  Yes, and they sympathize, but there is little
they can do about it.  Argh!!!  (...and I'm being polite here!)
Welcome to the nightmares of technical support for computer
equipment. :-(

(Repair bill would be US$150, if the camera was out of warranty.
Today, a local dealer who sold me the camera showed me a somewhat
older Olympus repair estimates guide, where a D-600L overhaul is
priced at an outrageous $408 !).

It looks like Olympus is about to repeat its old mistakes.  At
this point, I'm not sure that my next digicam will be an Olympus.

Pissed off,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx