Re: [OM] Cleaning an OM300/4.5 lens -> element KIA :(

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning an OM300/4.5 lens -> element KIA :(
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:23:40 +0200
Olaf Greve wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you may have read over the past two weeks in the "Cleaning an OM300/4.5
> lens" thread, I attempted to get rid of the fungus in that lens, here are my
> experiences:

[snip...]
> screwdrivers so as to properly move it into place. This  worked, but at the
> moment the element went into place, a small piece of glass (+/- 0.5 cm by
> 0.5 cm) chipped off the back of the second  element, AAAAARRRRGHHHHH -I felt
> like dying-. :(
[snip again]

> Cheers!
> Olaf
>
> PS: Marco and others: many thanks for the tips on how to go about cleaning
> the lens, it would have been more complicated without those descriptions.

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for an interesting report. Sorry to hear that you had trouble.
Chipping a lens is _not_ fun, but may not be a disaster. As long as
the chipped area is relatively small and well out of focus, its negative
effects on the picture quality can be practically eliminated by painting
the chipped area black. You lose a little light, but avoid the flare.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"