[OM] Re: Kodak Black & White +400

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak Black & White +400
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:01:52 +0000
More related to what you might *use* in your Olympus . . .

The saga on my roll of film continues (still not back yet; next week it
will attain epic saga status).

Of more interest to others is the portion of an e-mail I received from
Kodak about the differences between Black & White +400 and T400 CN.  It is
something Kodak is not making widely known (along with differences in
characteristic and spectral dye density curves):

>Kodak Black and White + 400 Film is geared to the photographer wishing
>black and white prints, but the quick turnaround of color negative
>processing and printing.  Kodak Professional T-Max T400 CN Film is designed
>for the photographer who wants the quick turnaround of color negative
>processing and proofs made on color paper, but wants to then make
>end-result prints on traditional black and white paper.  For this reason,
>this film has a much less dense orange mask than that of the Kodak Black
>and White + 400 Film, allowing for easier and faster black and white
>printing.

So . . . if you print your own or have reprints/enlargements done on
traditional B&W paper it seems the better film is T400 CN.  If I want T400
CN now, I have to mail order the professional version as no local stores
carry any professional films.   :-(

-- John