Re: [OM] Olympus raises repair prices.

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus raises repair prices.
From: John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 15:15:50 -0400
Hello,

Well, anyone who has parents in their late 80s may have experience with
this.  My father (living by himself on Cape Cod) fell and broke his
shoulder as a result of extremely low blood oxygen caused by congestive
heart failure and pneumonia (they took more than 3 quarts out of his
chest cavity alone).  He doesn't remember falling or any part of the
emergency room stay which included the insertion of breathing tubes etc.
(that's good).
He's now in rehab at JML,  knows all of his childrens names on sight,
but can no longer live by himself.  All of this is a life changing
experience.
We've been on the Cape, shuttling between the hospital, his house and
the town dump.

Anyway, I don't know when I'll be up to speed.  In the mail that arrived
while we were gone was a repair price list issued by Olympus.
Gulp, all repair prices have gone up and frighteningly so. This is just
a partial sample list.

The OM-4T was $145, new price $216, impact/tamp./water $356
IS-3 WAS $105, now $123
16mm FE was $88, now $216
180 2.8 was $88 now $216
OM-3Ti WAS $143 NOW $321
35MM 2.8 was $49 now $ 98
100mm 2.0 was $65 now $153
100mm 2.8 was $49 now $104
50mm f2 macro was $55, now $149
15v nicad was $49 now $86
MD2 was $88, now $107
350 2.8 was $286, now $306, impact/tamp./water repair $2106, yes, $2106

Oooh, ooh, new prices include return shipping.

If you send an item to Olympus for service, multiply new prices anywhere
from 2 to 8X (!) to figure 2nd price level for
impact/tampering/water/sand.

I will maintaing most, if not all of Camtechs current prices (unless as
an ex. a 4T must go to Olympus for a circuit job, then atleast Olympus's
price would apply.)

John