Re: [OM] OM-4 Flash Solution

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 Flash Solution
From: Joshua_Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:31:49 -0800 (PST)
Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>For me, the main benefit of the T-45 (or the T-32 on a BG2) is
>that it is powerful (and flexible) enough to point straight up
>at a low ceiling, or even BACK to reflect of a wall or three.
>This gives very nice, moderately uniform lighting without the
>shadows (if that's what is desired).

That's something I really appreciate with my Sunpak 622 Super.
With GN 200 (ISO 100, feet), it's bright enough to bounce off of
even relatively dark ceilings or walls, though the ceiling color
will show up in the bounced light, and that isn't always good.
For telephoto work, the zoom head has GN 270 in its narrowest
setting, which covers a 135mm lens quite well.

The Sunpak also takes interchangeable heads, including a very
nice macro ring flash, GN 46, a diffused head with 360-degree
output, and an infrared head that's barely visible but has very
high IR output, GN 112 in IR.  And the head swings side to side
as well as up and down, so if you're framing vertically you can
still bounce off the ceiling.

Sunpak makes an Olympus module for their interchangeable
dedicated flashes, though not every place that carries Sunpak
will have it in stock.

The one drawback is the same as the T-45 -- it's big and bulky.
It looks large on my Mamiya Press, huge next to an OM body,
and just plain silly on my little Olympus 35S rangefinder.
It's also expensive, though I got mine with five heads and the
filter set for under $300 used.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned -- NiCad batteries will
cut the recycle time for almost any flash that can handle them.
Fresh alkalines take about 10 seconds to fully charge my Sunpak,
but fresh NiCads take less than 5 seconds.

--

 Josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx  is  Joshua Putnam / P.O. Box 13220 / Burton, WA 98013
                       "My other bike is a car."