Re: [OM] auction pricing

Subject: Re: [OM] auction pricing
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:20:52 EST
Dan writes:

> Granted there is some truth to what Gary said about "presentation"
>  and the combination of things (lens caps, case, etc.)  But for the
>  life of me, I cannot figure out why there is such a big difference
>  in price for similar items.

Well, I did list many more than those two things in explaining it.  But the
list wasn't all inclusive.  Also add: value of value added items, desirability
of value added items, shipping cost, country origin of equipment, rarity of
item, reputation or demeanor of the seller, convincing evidence of quality,
inferred competition from other bidders who made previous bids, reserve (if
used) and amount, amount of opening bid, amount for bid increments, number of
prior bids, & clarity of digital image.

That seems to cover all but the emotional aspects of the bidding process - the
one thing that can't be predicted.  Maybe Kelton, our resident psychologist,
can shed light on that.

Bottom line: master these confounding variables, as well as know your prices
and you'll be a successful buyer or seller on the Internet.  I always chuckle
over those who reveal their technique for mastering them.  But perhaps someone
is chuckling that I'm even listing them.  But the thing is that there is no
joy in seeing someone pay way over market for an item due to lack of
experience or knowledge.  I know of at least one ebay seller who rebates
buyers who go way over reserve.  It happens most often in selling generic
lenses, like an OM mount Vivitar 28mm? f/2 wide angle where bidding went over
$200.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV