re:[OM] Shipman; OM3 OTF question

Subject: re:[OM] Shipman; OM3 OTF question
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:20:27 -0500
According to my Shipman book in the OM-3 section:
"With Olympus T-series flash units, normal auto or manual modes may be
used.  A flash symbol at the lower right in the display glows when the
flash is charged.  On auto, the flash symbol blinks to show correct
exposure after the flash is fired.  At shutter speeds faster than 1/60,
the flash will not fire, but an exposure will be made coreectly with
ambient light."

This description is not significantly different from the description
given for the OM-2sp.  And the OM-3 certainly has the same rearward
facing sensor and auxiliary mirror arrangement as the OTF cameras.

However, in the metering chapter of Shipman it plainly states:
"The sensor in the camera body is not used for automatic OTF control of
T-series flash."

So, I wonder, what is it that causes the T-series flash on auto to
measure its exposure as would appear from the description above?