Re: [OM] Powering T32

Subject: Re: [OM] Powering T32
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:22:55 GMT
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:56:17 +0100 , "Chmielewski, Artur"
<AChmielewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all!
>Recently I was trying to capture my friends climbing in a spectacular winter
>scenery with my OM-4 and no-name (Posso, or something like this) flashgun. I
>missed most interesting moments because the flashgun was never ready -
>batteries died after a couple of shots. I know, the T32 flash has a power
>connector. It's supposed to be powered by an AC Adapter (2 or 3). Does
>anybody know if it's possible to power the flash from an external battery
>pack? I have good experience powering the Motor Drive via Relay Cord from
>the M18V grip placed in my iner-pocket and I would like to use the same
>method for the flash. Does anybody know the pin layout of the connector? Is
>there a general-use plug fitting the conector?
>Regards and thanx,
>Artur Ch.

Yes, you can power the T-32 externally from:

1. the Quantum Turbo Battery (through the high voltage plug used for
the AC-adapter). You will need a special adapter cord, also made by
Quantum. This solution gives the fastest flash charging possible.

2. the Quantum 6 volt batteries (QB 1+ or Bantam models). Here you
will need other special adapters from Quantum too.

3. Use any other 6 volt battery, rechargeable or primary, and fix
yourself good connectors to fit into the battery compartment of the
T-32.
I have done so by making wooden AA 'batteries', cut from a kitchen
spoon handle of the right thickness, and putting a screw with solder
tab eyelet into the appropriate ends. The screw gives good contact
with the connectors inside the compartment, the solder tabs are for
soldering a red and black wire, for connection with your plus and
minus battery poles respectively.
The energy source can be any 6 volt source. e.g. a lead gel block
battery or a videocam NiCad. It can also be an Olympus 6 volt power
pack 2 (or 1, if you want to keep it in your pocket...).
I use a special version of the latter, with lead gel cells in place of
the normal alkaline D-cells.

If you go the 6 volt way, you will also have to cut small parts off
the battery compartment cover of the T-32, to provide room for the
cables.

If you need any further help, don't hesitate to ask (private email).
I have some spares as well, which I would be willing to sell.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.