Re: [OM] The Unofficial Olympus OM SIF: phase 2/10 completed!

Subject: Re: [OM] The Unofficial Olympus OM SIF: phase 2/10 completed!
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:20:09 -0600
<< Even prodigal sons and No-No-Kini bodies like
the 707, 101 and 2000 have found their place, kindly adopted just as if
they
were part of the OM System. >>

I may be way out of line here, I do not have the technical expertise or
knowledge of the OM system that others on the list have, but I find the
above statement rather "dismal?" "detracting?" and/or "offensive".

The 707 and 101 may have been (failures?) in Olympus's development
history and the OM-2000 is being manufactured by Cosina and not by
Olympus, however they are a part of the OM system! Referring to them
otherwise may only add support to the argument that Olympus drop its OM
system entirely. After all, if  people stop buying or at least trying
these products because of someone else's opinion instead of formulating
their own opinions, who could blame Olympus or any manufacturer for that
matter for discontinuing a product line.

Further, I remember reading somewhere that Cosina is also manufacturing
two bodies for N*k*n. Does this mean that Olympus and N*k*n care less
about the quality of those cameras because a third party is
manufacturing them? I don't think so, their names are on those cameras!
I bet that both parties have quality controls that ensure that Cosina
produces cameras that meet or exceed their own standards. I have an OM
2000, yeah it is a bit different and has taken some getting used to but
so far it has been a good product.

"A self proclaimed Zuiko-holic, but maybe not the Oly-phile I thought I
was".