Re: [OM] OT SLR Research report

Subject: Re: [OM] OT SLR Research report
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:47:07 -0600
>And thank you. Something that recurs in your postings
>about the cameras you are looking at is their much larger size
>and weight.

Yup.

>The weight of the cameras you mention is up there with medium
>format. Wouldn't that be better for weddings? You're not
>shooting a Tasmanian tiger at 200 meters and don't need "big glass".

You mean that I can't have both MF and 35mm wonderbricks?  I was thinking
about that Pentax, but will probably wait and see what Mamiya comes up with
this year.  I can almost guarantee that the M645 will go AFbefore the next
Photokina.

>BTW, I've never really understood the professional's fetish for big
>heavy gear. Most of us here know cameras can be small, light
>*and* robust. And even if a photographer can himself carry the
>gear, he might one day want to hire a female assistant who can't.

Small and lightweight is good if you spend your life backpacking or if the
camera is a "tag-along" item.  However, if your primary mission is taking
pictures, you can justify the size and weight.  Besides, a bit of mass can
be a good thing.  How many of us have added motor drives and winders to our
beloved OM's so they are easier to handle?  In my comparing the F100 and
F5, I actually pereferred the F5's additional weight.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx