[OM] OT SLR Research report

Subject: [OM] OT SLR Research report
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:25:20 -0500
Ken Norton wrote
"Canon EOS-1n:  Fastest autofocus around!"

Ken I have an EOS1n and was of this opinion also. The Nikons have a
reputation for being slower.
However whilst I was in France last year I bought a "Chasseur d'Image" an
excellent photography magazine which I always get when I'm in France. They
do tend to show a strong pro Nokon bias (I travel all over the world and
find audio and photo fashion to vary a lot from one country to another,
presumably because of national differences in marketing). They had an
article on the overall speed of the cameras in the field. This tested the
combination of speed of the motor drive and follow focus effectiveness
together. They compared EOS1n, EOS3, F5 and F90X. They fired a sequence of
photographs of a car beeing driven down a road at a fixed speed towards the
camera. They used both silent wave and normal lenses on the Nikon. The
results were a surprise.
The F5 did 13 photos all in focus with the 300mm f4 and the same with the
300 f2.8 silent wave. The F90x managed 7 and 7 with the f4 and the same
with the f2.8! The EOS1n managed 9 shots but only 7 were sharp (the last
two were a bit out) on the 300 f4 and 10 with 8 sharp with 300 f2.8, the
EOS 3 managed 9 with 8 sharp on the f4 and 11 with 10 sharp on the f2.8. It
seems autofocus speed is only a small part of the effectiveness in the
field. If the Nikon lenses feel good in their manual focus mode (the Canon
ones feel grating and plastic I hate it) I wish I had bought Nikon for
autofocus. Thankfully I use an OM or Leica M most of the time!
Cheers Frank