Re: [OM] Photo processors

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo processors
From: "webmaster" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 23:31:07 -0800
I have used pro labs and 1-hour photofinishers, in both large metro areas
and small towns, and my own processing by hand.  Your observation that
"...the game is all in the printer person, the state of the art equipment,
the cleanliness of the chemicals, and whether the printer person can imagine
standing in the shoes of the photographer at the
time the photo was taken." is pretty close.

I believe the operator, or "printer person" as you call him/her, is the most
important variable.  An individual with high personal standards and a
comittment to quality can make up for less than state-of-the-art equipment.
A very close second is the condition of the chemicals.  This is more than
cleanliness.  It also means temperatures are correct, all the transport
mechanism is right, replinishment rates are correct and so on.  It is not
simple.  A distant third is state-of-the-art equipment.  This has more
effect on machine throughput (read profitibility) than quality.  My
hand-made work is as good as any pro shop, but they can do 100 times the
throughput.  Same quality, lots more quantity.  The imagination of the
printer I think has little to do with the final result, unless you include
this attribute as part of the person's overall comittment to quality.  Their
ability to understand _my_ imagination and apply their craft to meet that
vision is quite important.  Those two are different, but maybe I'm just
splitting hairs......

I do not believe "pro" labs are a con job.  The lab I use now is a small
operation that offers a full range of professional services in the face of
brutal price competition with the drug store chains, 1-hour mall locations
and a new Wal-Mart SuperCenter.  It is the only place in town that process
E-6 or process & print black & white work.  He's also the only place where I
can get any 120 format work done.  FWIW he also does sheet films, but I
haven't handled a view camera since my school days. :(

I am happy you have found a good photofinisher.  Not all 1-hour labs are
bad, as not all "pro labs" are worth they premium they generally charge.
Stick with him.
John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx> remarked: