RE: [OM] Photo processors

Subject: RE: [OM] Photo processors
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:29:32 PST
Dave is absolutely right.  For many years I have used Y. K. Bao's little
one-hour shop in Arlington, Texas, even trusting him with my sisters'
weddings.  We've become good fiends over my pictures.

I took a class from a well known portraiturist quite a few years ago
called "In Search of the Custom Negative".  The premise was that if you
took care to balance the lighting so that no doging and burning were
required, anyone could make your prints (with reasonable care).  You can
do this in many instances with reflectors, light subtracting black
cloths used like negative reflectors, fill flash, etc.  In practice I
have found that this is possible more often than you might think. And
this mindset is invaluable when shooting chromes.  On the other hand, if
you happen by Hernadez, New Mexico, at the same astological time and the
clouds are the same as they were for Ansel Adams, you are still going to
need a cutom lab to burn in the sky on that image. (Don't make a special
trip -- the school distict built a bus barn next door and it's not the
same now.)

Gary Edwards