[OM] interference pattersn

Subject: [OM] interference pattersn
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 05:18:33 -0800
"If I look at lenses under the light of so-called energy saving bulbs
(compact neon [sic] lights for screwing in normal bulb threads), I can
see a coloured interference pattern (concentric circles). It seems to
appear at cemented groups."

This pattern occurs because these fluorescent lamps do not have a
continuous spectrum. The energy is concentrated in four or five bands *,
so the interference effects are similarly grouped in discrete rings.

* You can see this by looking at the bulb with a prism or diffraction
grating. A CD makes a great reflection grating.