Re: [OM] Tamron SP 400/f4 etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 400/f4 etc.
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:45:32 +0100
Gary Schloss wrote:

>Without going into the gory details, let me summarize the main results.
>First, the Tamron SP 400/4 really did an amazing job, easily beating
>the competition in all but one category
>The bottom line: the Tamron SP 400/f4 is a great catch, and IMHO Ulf's
>excitement is entirely justified.

Thanks Gary, I really liked that!

I've just returned from two day's shooting with this lens. I decided I
couldn't hold back the urge to go out and field test it, in actual use
rather than doing proper tests (I'm happy you did!).
All I can say prior to have seen any developed slides is, wow! Having had
several 3-party lenses and sold all of them, I can safely say that the build
quality is on par with Nikkors and Zuikos. The focus ring is IMO absolutely
perfect, very fast (being IF), but with just the right amount of resistance
(missed that on my Sigma) unlike an autofocus lens. With the new 2-4 screens
on an OM4, it "snaps" instantly, both with and without the Tamron 1.4X
converter.
Yesterday I made a hike of 7-8 kilometers with the lens and Manfrotto tripod
through hail and sunshine (I regularly do this hike) and the funny thing
was, I hardly felt the extra weight to the old 300/4.5+1.4X combo. It really
is a useful compromise of speed and weight. I had high assumptions on this
lens and as far as usability goes, I'm overwhelmed, it's a dream to use.

I'll be back with more on this when the slides have been developed.

How fast can you do a E6 process??

Cheers
Ulf Westerberg