Re: [OM] Perspective

Subject: Re: [OM] Perspective
From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 23:38:38 +0200
Bob Christopher wrote:

> Bravo, Simon.
>
> Over the past week or so I've been perplexed by the attitude
> of Oly listmembers calling for a "Class Action" suit. Over what? Perhaps
> because I am a camera collector first and a camera user second, I fully
> understand and appreciate that products and production runs are not
> everlasting. A collector's perspective is that of appreciation not
> victimization.
>
> When you buy into an old system you should expect that parts,
> service, repairs, support, etc. are not part of the deal from the
> manufacturer. You should adopt the perspective of a collector.
>
> When you buy into a new system you should do so with the
> understanding that your dollars replenish the manufacturer's cost to
> produce that item, provide profits to the dealer and the shareholders, and
> contribute to the R&D of what the manufacturer has in mind to replace
> what you just bought.
>
> All things considered, I am amazed at the volume of Oly gear available
> and the resources for parts, service, repair and support. Why anyone
> would whine about such abundance is beyond me.

Is the whining about the abundance of servie, repairs and parts, or of the
complete desertion of the
OM series of cameras by its manufacturer? I thought it was this that was making
some people upset,
including myself. Why doesnt Olympus just come out and sat it clearly??? "We
will no longer continue
developing products for the OM series"
>From the, I am sure we will find a way to survive, at least we'll know were to
>stand and can make
knowledgeable decisions.
I like Canon's example. They just discontiued the FD lines and went into the
EOS. They said it, they
did. Sire, there were many angry users out there, byt at least they were
straight about it, and
leave them hanging on with a hairline length's of hope.

just my thoughts...

--
Regards,
Alexander