Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message

Subject: Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:08:23 -0500

"R. Lee Hawkins" wrote:

> Thus, I have a few questions:
>
>         1) To the newer members of the list: would you have found such
>            a message helpful?
>
>         2) To the older members of the list: Would you find such a message,
>            repeated periodically, more annoying that having people
>            continually ask a question that has been beaten to death in
>            the past?
>
>         3) To Shawn: Would you be willing to send out such a message?
>
> At the very least, I think a message such as this should be sent to
> every new subscriber at the time they subscribe, with the advice that
> they read it completely and have a look at the FAQ's and the archives
> before asking what might turn out to be a question for which a large
> body of information already exists.  We have determined that the 357
> battery is the best battery to use in an OM.  Period.  Further
> discussion on the list is not necessary :).
>
> Cheers,
> --Lee

at the archives.  I belong to this list and the Canon EOS list.  Both have
the same thing happening.  A thread hangs around the list for a week or
two getting all kinds of answers and comments and side bars going.  It
finally dies down and is gone for a day or two.  Then somebody that is
either unaware of the archives or too lazy to look through them for an
answer posts essentially the same question and the thread starts all over
again.  Some of us run out to the store and buy a new delete key since
we wore the old one out.  The subject lines can have the sane question
in different form so setting up a filter can be difficult.

Then there is the space that these redundant qustions and answers take
up on the server.......

The list info, rules, guidlines, how to, etc, are sent out with acceptance
messages to new subscribers on other lists but is quite often overlooked
and questions are posted that have answers in the new member package.
It's like my Customers at work.  When they get a new computer the first
thing tossed out are the books, then the packing material.....

I think this idea has merit, but I am not sure how it can be implemented.

Bob

--

                   ////////
                  (  o o  )