Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message

Subject: Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:29:43 -0600 (CST)
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:04:44 -0500, R. Lee Hawkins wrote:

>       1) To the newer members of the list: would you have found such
>          a message helpful?

Potentially, but not if I had just come to the list specifically to
ask that question. Despite the long standing advice to check the faq
and archives on any list before posting, it is awfully convenient
(and it works) to simply drop in and ask "What batteries doe my OM-1n
need?"

>       2) To the older members of the list: Would you find such a message,
>          repeated periodically, more annoying that having people
>          continually ask a question that has been beaten to death in
>          the past?

I'm on several lists (cotton, saxophone, and harmonica) where I'm one
of the more advanced subscribers, and offer more answers than
questions. I don't mind the cyclical newbie questions, because they
can often invite spinoff into a new discussion, or offer fresh
perspectives. They also offer an opportunity for list members to get
to know one  another and develop the list "personality."

BBB
--
B.B. Bean               bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Peach Orchard, MO       http://www.beancotton.com/bbbean.shtml