Re: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..

Subject: Re: [OM] Careful what you wish for, part T32..
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:22:14 +1100
>What exactly is the function of the X/FP switch when shooting
>manually, which is all the OM1 does, and how should I set about
>shooting with a flash...

If the flash is very fast (normal flash) you need to fire the flash when the
first curtain is open. If the flash duration is long, but starts quickly (FP
bulbs and F280 flash), you fire the flash before opening the first curtain.
Leave it on X and shoot at 1/60 or slower for flash unless you like to play.

>As far as I can tell in the X position the flash is timed  to flash
>when the shutter is open when shooting at 1/30s. i.e I should set the
>shutter speed to 1/30s when shooting with a flash. The aperture is
>then chosen from those available on the calculator if in auto mode (2
>choices  on the T20, 3 on the T32), or manually, based on the number
>(20 or 20/32) and the aperture, I guess... What is the relationship
>between 20/32 and aperture and here do the numbers 20,32 come from
>anyway ??
>
>And FP??? Whats that all about. I get the impression it is related to
>real live flash bulbs, but thats it !!

Flash bulbs have several advantages. Very bright. And high speed sync. Great
for weddings.

Which brings me to another point. I was going to try bulbs but the number I
would have to use to understand them would be significant. So, does anyone
have info on how the F280 detects high speed sync, and what signals need to
be sent to it? I think it gets one pin to go to high speed mode and the
other pin to turn it on. Does it supply it's own voltage (camera provides a
short circuit), or does the camera supply the voltage? I should be able to
make something with opto isolators to make it work with my OM-1n.

Foxy