Re: [OM] Measuring Battery Drain

Subject: Re: [OM] Measuring Battery Drain
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:37:45 +1100
Giles wrote:

> I think you really need a digital multimeter for this one.  You are trying to
> measure current draw rather than voltage so the unit of measurement is amps -
> milli
> amps and micro amps.

I measured mine with an ancient Radio Shack swinging-needle multimeter
bought in the 1970s, and got answers identical to those in the FAQ.
Digital meters are intrinsically better for measuring low *voltage*
where the device doesn't like current draw, but a good quality
analogue meter is OK for current as needed here. These days, all
reputable brands (Fluke etc.) are digital.

With the analogue meter you can see a 1Hz pulse with the camera
in standby. Anyone care to speculate what effect this has on
battery life?