Re: [OM] Why do we need 14mm lenses?; Moon exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Why do we need 14mm lenses?; Moon exposure
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:15:26 +0100
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>>  Minolta spotmeter
>
> That's very interesting. I don't think they could have used it in orbit, just
> on the surface, no?

No idea, but why not in orbit? An spotmeter should be able to meter
through the small capsule windows.

> Do you know this for a fact?

I know it from an Minolta book, the Minolta Spotmeter was designed
exclusiv for space missions. With an "sports finder" to allow the use
with an helmet but designed in way that light falling through the
eyepiece of the finder didn´t screwed up the metering result of the CdS
cell, the whole thing resistant to elecromagnetic fields etc.
Later than Minolta decided to sell it to ordinary consumer with just
little changes in design (no bare aluminium, ordinary finder).

> All reports that I've read about their photo
> missions don't carry any mention of a meter. They all seemed the photo novice
> to me, and spoke of firing the Hasselblad on automatic. (Which, of course, may
> just refer to the winding mechanism.)

Yes, I think the "Astro Blads" had no exposure automatic, all manual
working.

Regards

Richard