Re: [OM] "eBays" in Europe???

Subject: Re: [OM] "eBays" in Europe???
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:20:54 +0000
Claes wrote:

> 2. VAT. In Sweden we have a high VAT of 25% which has to be added to all
> eBay prices. If there was a European (within EU) web auction Swedes would
> only have to pay THAT countries VAT (which most likely would be less than
> 25%). 25% VAT is also added on shipment costs from the USA.

Ireland has 21% VAT but I am not sure they collect on small amounts due to the
administrative cost making it uneconomic.  I have bought a couple of things
from the
US that were not terribly expensive and I was not charged anything.

Hypotheticly, if you were to send an item of your equipment to the US for
repair and
then it was returned to you clearly marked as a retuned repair, would you be
charged
VAT? ;-)

> 5. In general, prices on used Olympus accessories and bodies are about
> 20-400wer in Sweden than in the USA. (When it is for sale.)

I find this extraordinary!  Lucky you.

Giles