Re: [OM] "eBays" in Europe???

Subject: Re: [OM] "eBays" in Europe???
From: Claes <alvsborg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:25:53 +0100
At 00:31 1999-01-25 +0000, you wrote:
>Does distance matter?  If there were a European eBay and, for instance,
someone
>in Ireland or the UK was selling something.  Would you feel any safer in
dealing
>with them?

Maybe not. Maybe so. After writing my first post, I have become enlightened
though. I just registered with eBay. :) And there are many things that are
attractive with eBay, e.g.:

1) The number of entries/products. It is really impressive. There are more
things on eBay than registered with all Swedish mail-order companies added
together!

2) It is likely that you sooner or later will find that very special
accessory/lens/book that you are looking for. In Sweden, the only thing you
can be sure to find is the 50mm f1.8 lens.

3) As a *seller* you will probably sell what you advertise and you will get
a fair or good price.

Anyhow, there are some good reasons why it would be great with a good
Swedish web-auction with photo gear:

1. Transportation cost. It is no fun buying low-cost things like cords or
hot shoes if the cost for shipping is twice the product price.

2. VAT. In Sweden we have a high VAT of 25% which has to be added to all
eBay prices. If there was a European (within EU) web auction Swedes would
only have to pay THAT countries VAT (which most likely would be less than
25%). 25% VAT is also added on shipment costs from the USA.

3. Easy payment. In most European countries it is possible to use the
national postal services with giro payment. Extremely easy. No need even to
visit the post office. And non-expensive.

4. eBay is BIG - almost too big. There are very few real savings to do when
buying. Most things are paid at similar prices as mail order companies. In
Sweden, an auction featuring Olympus gear would interest much less people,
which would bring prices down.

5. In general, prices on used Olympus accessories and bodies are about
20-400wer in Sweden than in the USA. (When it is for sale.)

Well, I have found some great things on eBay that I will bid on. Things
that I do not expect to  find over here. And I will most likely put some
own things on eBay myself.

(To illustrate the non-working Olympus-market in Sweden: Two days ago, I
put the following things on the Swedish web auction: Olympus OM-1 MD (B+),
Zuiko 28mm/2.8 (B+), Zuiko 50mm/1.8 (B), Tokina 75-260mm/4.5 (B-), Winder 1
(B-), Flash Quick Auto 310 (C-) with Bounce Grip (B) (includes two cords
with Hot Shoe 2). All optics are without marks. Mechanics works nice and
smooth. The Flash is ugly but works fine. Starting bid: (equals to in USD
without VAT): USD 250.00. No bid so far! :))) (All the above things, but
the body and winder, are my own old things that I  have replaced with other
things. The body and winder came in a package with lenses and other things
I have kept.)

So: Viva eBay!

Best regards,
Claes