Re: [OM] spot meter the moon?

Subject: Re: [OM] spot meter the moon?
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:29:12 +0100
Patrick Greenlee wrote:

> The moon is about 1/2 degree across as observed from earth.  Just how
> narrow (in degrees) is Oly's spot metering?  Just curious since someone was
> suggesting metering  the different levels in the moon's image to get better
> results than the sunny 16 could provide.
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

The angle of the spot meter depends on the focal length of the lens.
Using a 300mm lens looking at the moon, I'd guess about 3/4 degree
spot angle. The moon is not quite large enough to fill the indicated
metering spot.

Using the spot meter on the moon has worked quite well for me, using
said 300mm lens on a full moon.

Why photograph the moon? Why not. I have a vague idea about using
the moon shots for dramatic effect in a trick photo and want to
have it in my archive for future use. Clear nights are not too
common around here :-(

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"