Re: [OM] Guess That Auction! [was: More eBay madness!]

Subject: Re: [OM] Guess That Auction! [was: More eBay madness!]
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:43:36 -0600
On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 11:19:17AM +0800, C.H.Ling wrote:
> Gary, I know what you mean now, concerning gambling and contests, there are
> nothing change after takeover. The jockey club is still there only the name
> changed; TVs and radios is allowed to provide some kind of contests; non
> profit sectors sometimes issue lottery ticket to raise fund; private
> gambling are allowed, such as paying mahjong.

To bring this back to OM: I was in HK from 4-16 July 1997. (I didn't even
know I was going until noon on the 2nd.) I sure wish I had my OM-2 with
me...both to capture the decorations that were still up (nearly all of them)
and to convey how little the place had changed, at least to my untutored
eyes...if I hadn't known there'd been a handover, I'd never have guessed it.
There were protesters handing out antigovernment literature, and not only
were they not being harassed, they weren't even being watched. Well, not
overtly. At the time, there was a lawsuit going against the government, and
the new government was swearing on anything they could even halfway consider
holy that they'd abide strictly by the results and not try to influence the
process. (C.H., whatever happened to the kids with the right to live in HK
but who were there illegally? Did they finally have to get deported and
re-enter, up to 3 years later?)