Re: [OM] New boy on the block

Subject: Re: [OM] New boy on the block
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:52:48 -0800
At 20:18 21:01:99 EST,  Paul Connet <P2CON@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>In a message dated 1/20/99 5:07:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>jahudson@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< I have been a Leica M3 plus 35/50/90/135 user since the mid 1960s but
> decided to find a SLR as well. >>
>
>John, welcome to the list. You have made a good choice for your first SLR.
>Maybe when you get a few rolls of film through your new toy you will give use
>your subjective thoughts regarding Zuiko vs. Leitz glass.  I for one would
>very much like to hear something on that subject.

Thank you and yes I think I did make a good choice. Back in the late 60s
some time my father went from a Leica IIIf or IIIg and bag of lenses to an
Olympus and a couple of lenses. He was quite ecstatic with the Oly results.
I will try to remember to write up my thoughts on how the two glasses compare!

My only past experience with an SLR has been with a Nikkormat with a 50 /
f1.4 I have had for about 25 years but have used very little .......... an
excellent lens but the whole thing weighed a ton, was noisy, and was very
clunky. The only other SLR experience was with a loaner Pentax and
tele-zoom in December 1971 in Hong Kong when my fiancee and I happened to
be cruising around Hong Kong harbour and came right up close to a passenger
liner that had a little smoke and fire coming out of a few rear portholes.
That was the former Queen Elizabeth, ~84,000 tons, that went up in smoke
and a ball of fire in HK harbour and we were only yards away and guess what
.......................... I only had about 20 shots left on a 36 exposure
reel and no spare film!! But those 20 shots were dream photos and there
were no other photographers even close. From then on in I always carried an
extra reel of film!

jh