Re: [OM] New boy on the block

Subject: Re: [OM] New boy on the block
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:22:33 EST
Hi Matthias:

Regarding a mood or feeling one gets from a particular lens - in your case
"absorbent effect,"  I find that a projected, highly detailed 50mm f/3.5 image
(onto a matte surface!) gives an "etched" or "business card-like raised relief
ink" appearance.  Rather like the emulsion side of a Kodachrome tranny.
Perhaps 3D'ish, although my mind knows it was a 2D subject.  I do see that in
A grade images from other lenses, but only when the exposure is dead on.  That
probably tells me it is a function of contrast.

There has always been something magical for me about capturing more detail on
film than one can capture with their own eyes.  I reckon that capturing a
stunning landscape in your mind's eye results in a rather low resolution
mental image with a high emotional resolution.  Revisiting that scene on high
resolution film rekindles the emotional imact at a lower intensity, but the
optical impact at a high, sometimes breathtaking intensity, because we can now
take note of details that escaped use due to eyesight limitations, lack of
time to ponder the scene, selective vision, or whatever.  Like Ansel Adams
said about how digital imaging would coax new performances (prints) out of his
scores (negatives), our photographs coax new interpretations of the places we
have been and photographed.  In fact, revisiting some of our old images may
impact us very differently now as the result of having lived life.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV