[OM] How to use a 35 shift (was More ebay madness!)

Subject: [OM] How to use a 35 shift (was More ebay madness!)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:31:55 -0800
>From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:26, Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Obligatory OM content: I've been having fun with a 35 shift doing nature
>>photography... for waterfalls, trees, or anything with straight lines
>>that aren't parallel to the film plane.

>... I am most curious about Jan's last sentence: "straight lines that
>aren't parallel to the film plane".  What does this mean?  When I think
>of architecture photo, all the lines are parallel to the film plane...

Assuming your camera is level, of course, but then you chop the top of the
building off!

The film plane is not parallel to the vertical lines in the building
(waterfall, tree, etc.) when you tilt the camera up in order to include the
entire subject. That's when the shift magic kicks in!

Ideally, when taking a picture of a 1,000 foot building, one would position
the camera at the 500 foot level, but most tripods aren't up to the task.
:-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229