Re: [OM] How to use a 35 shift

Subject: Re: [OM] How to use a 35 shift
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:56:51 -0500
At 08:56 AM 1/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:26, Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Obligatory OM content: I've been having fun with a 35 shift doing nature
>>photography. Most people think of it as a "niche" lens for architecture,
>>but it does wonders for waterfalls, trees, or anything with straight lines
>>that aren't parallel to the film plane.
>
>This note is interesting to me.  I was in NY during the New Years holidays
>and there were lots of opportunities to take pictures of tall buildings
>(Trump Tower, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Empire State Bldg, etc.) and I wish
>I had a shift lens to use.
>
>But I am most curious about Jan's last sentence: "straight lines that
>aren't parallel to the film plane".  What does this mean?  When I think
>of architecture photo, all the lines are parallel to the film plane --
>either horizontal or most likely vertical.  But when Jan said that the
>shift lens "does wonders for ... lines that aren't parallel to the film
>plane", I think of lines that are perpendicular to (i.e., going away from)
>the photographer.  So how does a shift lens help in this case?  Or am I
>just not seeing it?  If there are enough interesting uses for a shift
>lens, I may buy one to experiment with someday.
>       -Dan

Jan will have to answer that last part, but about NYC...

Did you find you were able to take pix of those buildings with a plain
35mm? With the possible exception of St. Patty's, they won't fit. I live
here and found the 35 shift not much use on these kinds of structures--not
wide enough. You would need the 24.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com