Re: [OM] How to use a 35 shift

Subject: Re: [OM] How to use a 35 shift
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:46:06 -0800 (PST)
Sorry, I am answering two different posts on the subject I raised together.

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:56, Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Did you find you were able to take pix of those buildings with a plain
>35mm? With the possible exception of St. Patty's, they won't fit. I live
>here and found the 35 shift not much use on these kinds of structures--not
>wide enough. You would need the 24.

I was using the 28/2.8 lens, and the pictures actually looked not too bad.
I even took a picture inside St. Patricks -- handholding for 1s with no
flash.  I also tried to take a picture inside the St. Thomas Church (along
with a group of Japanese tourists who all carried P&S cameras) and it did
not turn out as well, a little too much shake -- probably due to the
freezing weather that day.

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:28, Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>The lines are parallel if you hold the camera parallel to the buildings.
>But then you often can't see the top of the buildings (or trees etc.). So
>you have to hold the camera not parallel in an angle to see the top.

I understand how a shift lens works.  To me, in this situation, these lines
are still parallel to the film plane.  But I didn't think that was what Jan
meant in his original post talking about "lines that aren't parallel to the
film plane."
        -Dan