Re: [OM] Digest pollution and Misc. Complaints

Subject: Re: [OM] Digest pollution and Misc. Complaints
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:02:40 -0800
>Greg Heier said:
>
>>What I find far more annoying than attachments is how often this thread
>>comes up (talk about "email pollution"). With new people joining the list
>>every day, nothing is served by returning to this every couple months IMHO.

Unfortunately, I don't see an easy remedy.  This is an open list, newcomers
are welcome, and each of the members is free to choose their hardware and
software platforms.  Shawn Wright administers the list voluntarily, and he
does and admirable job.  We really have no right to expect him to do any
more than what he does already -- w/o compensation.

So every once in a while, when a new member joins, his/her e-mailer may
cause problems to other members. No big deal, really!  By all means, pls
yell, or even better, e-mail privately to the offending newcomer and try
to help them reconfigure their software.

Dave Reidling responded:

>Greg,
>
>You got that right.  I joined this list to learn something about Olympus
>cameras and photography.  In the short time I have subscribed to this list
>I have learned a lot and I thank this group for sharing their knowledge,
>Lately I have learned more about [misc. non-OLY off-topics]

This is not surprising.  Dunno when Dave joined the OLY list, but this
list has been around for a while now.  Many folks who hang out here are
"regulars", and so a great majority of pure OLY topics that may be of
interest to a newcomer, have been discussed here more then once, and
in great detail.  Also, familiarity and camaraderie that exist on this
list often breed spirited OT discussions.  I'm affraid this is the
nature of the beast.  Each list member has to decide whether she/he
can live with it.  The door to/from the OLY list is wide open -- in
BOTH directions.

>Perhaps someone will start a thread that has something to do with with
>Olympus products or photography.

May I suggest that everyone quit complaining, and instead submit a post
on a new and exciting OLY/photo topic that will draw much response.
Pls don't be bashful.  I can guarantee that if your topic is dull,
or has recently been beaten to death, someone will shoot you down :-)

Cheers,

/Gary "The Voice of Reason" Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx