[OM] there is an alien in my lens!!!

Subject: [OM] there is an alien in my lens!!!
From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:47:05 +0200
Ok, ok, I'll try to relax.
I went to a shop that sells old stuff, I think its called Pawn shops (sp?) in
the US.
I found an old beat up Zuiko, that I made out to be a 50mm f1.2. the price was
the equivalent of US40, so I didnt even bother checking the lens, not at that
price anyways.

So, I got home, opened up the lens...
You wont believe this! There is something groing inside the optics! there are
some greenish yellow looking stuff with lots of dots in it! Has anyone ever
heard of anything like this? It sounds like something from the X files.
I would have thought it was funny, but I have a baby in the house...
I immidiately put the "lens" in an air tight bag and hung it outside.
Can bacteria or other living organisms grow in a lens? Or is it something
melting?
Is it dangerous?
I am sure the lens is useless but is this suppose to happen? Could the lens
have broken up and something went in and "evolved"?

Should I call Scully?