Re: [OM] Finding OM Goodies Via the Internet

Subject: Re: [OM] Finding OM Goodies Via the Internet
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:38:55 +0000
Gary Reese wrote:

>With the increase in Internet-based sales, the power has shifted to the
>consumer.  They can buy from anyone and anywhere.

while the internet is surely reshaping the market, there is still a place
for reputable dealers offering good warranties.  Just because you can buy
off anyone anywhere, doesn't mean you *want* to.  There is an element of
trust between the buyer and seller which is to the benefit of both parties.
Honest internet traders will benefit in the long run, as the internet is
IMHO a good medium for exposing bad business practice, or commending
honourable deals.  It is not run by advertising-hungry companies, as has
happened in the magazine market.  I cannot trust the word of most magazine
writers, since they are either ignorant or not writing in the consumer's
interest.  This has also happened in newspapers and most other forms of
print publishing which require advertising revenue.

My nearest photographic store is 50 miles away, and the nearest carrying
substantial OM stock a considerable amount further away.  therefore I have
regularly bought by post or (more recently) through this list, and so far
not been disappointed.

Simon E.