Re: [OM] there is an alien in my lens!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] there is an alien in my lens!!!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:24:06 -0700
At 05:36 PM 1/16/99 +0200, Alexander wrote:

[snip]

>By the way, have any of you dealt with ebay? Have you had good experiences?

Alexander:

Yes, I've bought a few things off of eBay, and with only one exception, had
good experiences.  You have to swallow your fears, though -- in virtually every
case, you *must* send your precious money first and wait for the goods to be
delivered.

The only two pieces of advice I'd give about that is (1) make sure that the
person you're thinking of buying from has positive feedback, and/or (2) if
you're still unsure, spend a few drachma to phone the person (especially if it
looks like the item you want to bid on is going to be very expensive) and try
to get a "feel" for them first.  If you don't have a positive experience over
the phone, you might not want to engage in bidding for the item in question.

Garth

P.S.: The one item from eBay where I felt I got ripped off was purchased from a
fellow Canadian (a gent from Montreal) who was, shall we say, overly-generous
in his descriptions of just how good the 200mm/4.0 Zuiko telephoto was that he
sold me.  I re-listed it on eBay about a year later, this time being honest
about its condition, and took a considerable loss on the lens (about $100.00
US, if memory serves).  Live and learn.

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/