[OM] mea culpa; other musings

Subject: [OM] mea culpa; other musings
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:56:48 -0800
Mea maxima culpa. I didn't realize the 50/1.4 Zuiko was no longer made.
Burt and Jason, you are forgiven.

If you look closely at the photo of the M-1 at

        http://www.olympus.co.jp/Special/CameraHistory/m-1.html

you'll see that the M-1 logo on the top plate is quite different from
the OM-1 logo we're familiar with. It's in a sort of Buck Rogers
typeface.

Rat purty cam-ra, tu.

"It seems to be Olympus's position that their camera is so good, so
perfect, that it has needed no improvement for nearly a decade, they can
charge what they like for it, and give customers practically no choice
of OM bodies."

Although I wouldn't be so presumptuous to assume I know what the good
Olympus folk are thinking, or why they do what they do, I must
reluctantly agree that the above description pretty accurately describes
what _appears_ to be going on.

No matter how good your product, you cannot leave it unchanged
indefinitely and assume the public will continue to be interested in it.
Even the Leica M6 has been modified -- the new version has TTL flash
control, and you can get a model with a larger viewfinder.

And, of course, if you refuse to advertise your product, what can you
expect if it doesn't sell? Olympus has no one to blame but itself for
the current weak sales of the OM system.

"VERDICT: LEICA are GOOD collector cameras, OLYMPUS is serious working
PHOTOGRAPHY."

Oh, I don't know. Doesn't it depend on what type of photography you're
doing?

Many of the world's great photos were taken with Leicas by
photojournalists who didn't need depth-of-field preview or extreme
close-up capability, but were perfectly happy to view the world and its
people through a simple, uncluttered viewfinder.

"How about us Mac weenies?"

Isn't the McWeenie the new McDonald's hot dog? <grin>