[OM] re: OM's and cold...

Subject: [OM] re: OM's and cold...
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:09:31 -0500
When I got up this morning I was struck by the -23 degree (F) air and
two odd birds on the still-unfrozen, steaming Lake Champlain. ....
Creeping down the embankment with the OM-2S and the 300/4.5, I got
within range and booted the 2S to AUTO.  I got LED's for about 1 second,
then....kaput.  Re-booted.  Ditto.  By the time I got up to the house
for my OM-1 the birds had gone into the mist.  The camera couldn't have
been outside for more than 6 or 7 minutes, has recent 357's, and has
never had battery-drain problems.
Which of the OM 2/4's draws least on the batteries?  Also, does shutter
operation need more or less battery power if it is on Auto or Spot?
I wish Olympus had made a powerpack similar to the one for the EOS-1n.
Morgan Sparks
=====
Morgan:

I find your message interesting because I am experiencing the same
conditions in your region (Burlington, VT) and can't wait to try out a new
OM2n I am having shipped to me from NJ today with a new (used) 4.5/300.  I
tried to get an OM1n for reliable cold weather performance but couldn't
find a clean one.  My OM4 is in repair right now and it remains to be seen
how it holds up in the cold once John Hermanson gave it the overhaul.
As for your second question. I do have a little external battery pack for
the winder which goes in your inside jacket pocket to stay warm and it
plugs in the jack on the winder.  I will try that one too and report the
results later.
Jan - in freezing cold Vermont