Re: [OM] "real-time" spot metering?

Subject: Re: [OM] "real-time" spot metering?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:00:44 +0100
:>> Sooo, the OM-4Ti has real-time spot metering as well? This is getting
:>> more interesting by the minute...
:>
:>"I just read this post and tried it out for my self. It does. Just line
:>up on the bouncing dot in manual."
:>
:>I just tried it, too, and I'm not so sure.
:>To get a spot reading, you have to press the SPOT button. But that
:>doesn't switch the camera to spot mode. Rather, the camera takes and
:>memorizes a single spot reading. Once you take the shot, the camera
:>returns to center-weighted readings.

No it does not. A simple test can reveal the OM-4(Ti)'s real time spot
metering. You don't even have to leave the house to perform it :-).
Take a piece of black cardboard, and cut a circle from it, the size of a
small plate. Tape this black circle on a window during daytime. Take your
OM-4(Ti), mount any lens in the 28-100 mm range, put it in Auto mode, take a
low angle and point the spot-centre towards the black circle so that only
the sky and the circle are part of the 'composition'.
Take a centre-weighted metering; this could be maybe 1/500 with the
dominating sky. Now take a spot metering of the black circle. This could be
maybe 1/60. Clear the spot-metering, move the spot-centre away from the
black circle and take a spot readig from the sky. This would be (almost) the
same as the centre-weighted meterig, 1/500. Now while retaining this spot
value, move the centre back towards the black circle. The second, moving
diamond will move towards 1/60, representing the previous EV value of the
black circle.
Voila, real time spot metering. Of course it works in Manual mode too, and
also on the OM-3(Ti). Big difference with the 2Sp is that you first have to
take at least one spot metering.
This facility lets you take one single metering of the main subject, and
then inspect the scene by moving the centre around, in search of Ansel Adams
and his zones, checking the contrast without actually storing additional
spot values, comparing this to the exposure lattitude of the film before you
decide where to take additional spot values from.

Hans