[OM] RE: [OM] OT ÄOMÅ

Subject: [OM] RE: [OM] OT ÄOMÅ
From: Nyholm Mica <Mica.Nyholm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:51:47 +0200
No, OM is OM in Finnish also. The trouble is with character conversion, ie.
the 7-bit bracket parenthesis around OM get somewhere translated into 8-bit
Scandinavian letters. On my screen the brackets are represented by A(umlaut)
and A(circle).

We, and other countries with local character sets have to cope with 7-bit
ASCII, 8-bit OEM (DOS) and 8-bit ANSI (Windows) character sets, all with
different places for the Scandinavian letters. Translations are bound to go
wrong at times. UNICODE might eventually solve this problem but until in
wide use it'll be just another base for character-conversion errors.

Mica Nyholm <mica.nyholm@xxxxxxxxx>
Valtionpalvelut, Tieto, Espoo
puh. (09) 457 3332